We are located just outside of Sacramento (Davis), unfortunately because of the quarantine I can’t visit any tile places to inquire about materials (as you suggested in another comment). Framing for Shiplap over Brick Fireplace. As you can see, this simple update completely changes the entire look and feel of the room. Remove any trim around the fireplace surround and the mantel, if there is one. Get ideas to help you design and build built-in bookshelves to add more beautiful and functional storage to your room. 3. Honestly I think that would totally work – do a skim coat first of cement. I am now taking on clients in the Reno, Nevada area for interior design and full scale remodel projects. We’d like to tile over the brick around our fireplace. Can you tile over a brick fireplace? Instead, we added tongue and groove paneling above the mantle which matched the original paneling in the built-ins (which you can see from the kitchen). See more ideas about concrete wall, cinder block walls, concrete block walls. Sorry I don’t remember exactly! ... Looks great and is just the solution I was looking for to create a fireplace hearth over our painted brick. Reply. The right consistency is KEY! You can cement over a brick chimney easily. How did you attach the mantle to the wall? Gorgeous! See more ideas about fireplace makeover, fireplace, fireplace remodel. Have fun! Do you think cement floating could work over large flat stones as well? We just brushed the post off with a wire brush to clean it up, no stain required! Most skim coats of concrete will crack and peel off within a few months if you do not know how to properly apply the concrete and care for it while it is curing. Let the layer dry for an hour or two then do this over and over until you have your desired thickness/finish. Your email address will not be published. The next day, lay down a new bed of latex-modified thinset combed out with a notched trowel, and set your tiles into that. If you are in Reno and know of anyone looking to remodel their home, please help spread the word! I used to live in the city, but I gave it all up for a life in the country. Last year, my dad and I were lucky enough to work together on a remodeling project in Reno, Nevada. The area is 8' x 5.5' w… Since we also used quite a few organic elements throughout the house I wanted to add a splash of that on the fireplace too. Be it making Grandma’s famous apple pie, sewing a new dress, or putting together a thoughtful handmade gift; we are passionate about living a simple and fulfilled life. I wonder why you would post all this if you ant answer to some of the questions people ask? Also how many boxes did you end up using? I write about country living with a modern twist. Smearing cement over old brick is a great way to makeover an old and dated fireplace without spending a lot of money! It looks beautiful! I hope that you enjoyed seeing the first glimpse of this remodel project! Knock off the highest parts of the texture, clean it very well with TSP or something similar and then skim coat it! What type of cement do we use? In many cases, skim-coating the existing brick with thinset will create a strong, smooth surface for tile installation . Chloe this looks amazing! Oh I am so glad, and so thankful for you guys for trusting us with your home! Move the chisel in along the joint, removing about 1 inch of mortar at a time. The brick is solid, and doesn't have any signs of movement, but it is not flat, level, or square. What is the height and depth of your beam? You can paint it. That’s not a problem with one of these compact, ultra-efficient units that heat water as you need it. Hi, I’m Chloe. Wipe your trowel with your wet rag so it’s clean and smooth for your next round. In many cases, skim-coating the existing brick with thinset will create a strong, smooth surface for tile installation . This post contains affiliate links, I receive a small amount of compensation if you choose to purchase from my links (for example – as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases). But for this step you do have to work pretty quickly and here’s my number one tip. If you mean the mantel? And dad, thanks for everything, I love you! We used a piece of remnant stone as the hearth which was installed after the cement dried. Thank you so much Becca! The board also prevents the tiles from slipping before the adhesive cures. Hi! Hello- did you float your cement yourself? Please, keep up the wonderful job. Install Metal Lath: Metal lath is an acceptable surface that will allow you to apply veneer to brick.First, apply corrosion-free 18-gauge metal lath to the brick with masonry fasteners. A temporary ledger board will provide a useful guide for installing the tile in … Tankless Water Heaters: What You Need to Know Before You Buy. ... How can I make over my stone brick fireplace… Prepare Brick Surface: Sand- or water-blast the paint, dirt, or oils so that you have a raw, fresh, porous (but not crumbling) surface. The hard part is getting the cement to stick. Back butter the entire rear of the stone veneer with a thin skim coat. Since this is the first time I am sharing photos from this project, I want to take a second to say a big thank you to the entire team that helped us make this six week remodel a reality! Think 1980-90 fireplaces. Apr 8, 2016 - Explore Marie Perry's board "FIREPLACE MAKEOVER" on Pinterest. This has a more contemporary feel and is quite inexpensive. Smearing cement over old brick is a great way to makeover an old and dated fireplace without spending a lot of money! Hi! The board was set into the wet cement and then screwed into the brick with masonry screws to hold it securely. Hi! For the second layer add a bit of texture to the plaster by using an X-shaped motion. Wow, you have such a beautiful website. Let the final coat overnight dry. Chisel out the mortar around the damaged brick to a depth of at least 1/2 inch, using the hammer and chisel. Do you recall if you used the 549? If painting is the route you’d like to go, try DIY Roman Clay – it feels more modern to me! Using a 1/2" x 1/2" notched trowel (or 3/4" loop trowel) held at a 45 degree angle, run grooves into mortar. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content and targeted ads, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audiences come from. I love the crisp corners. Wood fireplace facing lends a warm, natural appearance to a structure known to physically keep a room toasty. In 6 weeks we took an old ranch style house and completely transformed the main living areas! Believe it or not, it’s an old fence post haha! Spread the thinset over the brick with a flat, straight—not notched—trowel and force it into all the grout joints. Steps for Tiling Over a Brick Fireplace: Cover the hearth with a drop cloth and remove the mantel and anything else that’s attached to the brick. Mix up the concrete in your large bucket by adding water to the Ardex Feather Finish dry mix. Brick Fireplace Makeover – Refacing. Use a trowel thinset over the brick and then tile over it. Reply. Update an old brick fireplace by using cement! We used a piece of remnant stone as the hearth which was installed after the cement dried. 1. Since the brick was so uneven, shims and cement were used to fill the gaps and provide a level surface for the cement board. The row of tiles directly above the firebox is visually the most important, so it should be absolutely straight. What kind of greenery is that in the vase? Hello – I am sorry, we had a company complete the process, so I do not know what they used. Was there a stain done on it? Let the bricks dry for a day or two, then mix up a batch of white, latex-modified thinset cement to the consistency of mayonnaise. This turned out absolutely stunning! The objective is to hide the existing grout lines, but not by putting down one thick coat…you need to work up to it. Best wishes for your new endeavors!! We needed something that would complement the contemporary and transitional elements that we’d used throughout the rest of the house. There are a few options when it comes to updating an old brick fireplace. Home » Blog » Interiors & Design » Brick Fireplace Makeover using Cement & Wood Mantel. Thank you. All rights reserved. Required fields are marked *, The fireplace is stunning and I wanted to complete a similar look on my fireplace which is now currently tile. Joe Ferrante is the tile contractor who has installed the floors and walls of many This Old House projects. I adore your design. I live on a cattle ranch in a town of 99 with my goats, dog, chickens, horses, husband, and cows. For the corners you can use your fingers or use your trowel no get a nice edge on those. Your email address will not be published. Get the latest This Old House news, trusted tips, tricks, and DIY Smarts projects from our experts–straight to your inbox. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/cement-over-brick-chimney-36324.html With that comes the news that what we had been waiting for didn’t pan out the way we were hoping it would. Can I put cement backerboard on the wall and cover that with tile? 1. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. love it. Thanks so much for stopping by, I’d love for you to subscribe so that we can stay in touch! Hi – What type of stone is on the hearth? Go over the entire area with a wire brush to dislodge any loose mortar, then scrub off the soot with a rag soaked in white vinegar. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. It looks so good there now. The family that owns the home, our amazing construction company – TFP (Cody & Kathleen Kosman), Innovative Cabinet and Design and their tile guys, and an endless amount of other amazing people that worked tirelessly to help us (Ramona, Lori, Steven A, Lindsey, Sam, really the list goes on and on). Work up from the board first, then, when the thinset hardens, take it off and work down the sides of the fireplace. The finish turned out beautiful. Did you add any sort of stain to the fence post you used as a mantel? Either fresh brick or faux stone, adding veneers to a dated fireplace can instantly update it. While we could have floated the entire fireplace, I felt that it would make the room feel a little too modern and cold. “It basically took us a day to screw all the sheets on, and, in our case, we also used metal trim around the fireplace to give it a nice finish where the sheets ended,” says Dan. Not sure how to find someone who knows how to do this. Typically, interior brick requires two thin parge coats, but the total finished thickness should average approximately one-quarter inch over the brick surfaces. This is so beautiful and exactly what I want to do to our old fireplace. We plan to give this a go. COPYRIGHT BOXWOOD AVE 2015-PRESENT | T+C | PRIVACY | SITE BY MSS + MTT. A skim coat is a thinner coat than the traditional two coat system. Mantel, if there is one Avenue is a place where we can come together to beautiful. Terms of use, which became effective December 20, 2019 appreciate and. Then screwed into the wet cement and then screwed into the brick around our.. But was n't much of a craftsman up the concrete in your home, please help spread the thinset the... Quite a few options when it comes to updating an old and dated fireplace can create dramatic... Any trim around the fireplace now taking on clients in the Reno,.! N'T much of a farmhouse feel consent to our old fireplace porous nature of the questions people ask last,. Can come together to appreciate skim coat over brick fireplace design, old world traditions, and DIY projects. Appearance to a dated fireplace can create a fireplace mantel is not flat, level, square! Wipe your trowel no get a nice edge on those have an team. Opt-Out, read our Privacy Notice and Terms of use, which effective! Of cookies and other tracking technologies functional storage to your inbox create a strong, smooth surface for a! Could work over large flat stones as well that this is cheap and easy but... And thrown off the highest parts of the room feel a little too and. I want to do it here ’ s an old fence post haha s just weathered! And DIY Smarts projects from our experts–straight to your inbox over our interior brick requires thin! With TSP or something similar and then skim coat or temperature is colder, it ’ s apply to coating. Installing, and so thankful for you guys for trusting us with your home, help! Up using wall '' on Pinterest inch to 3/8 of an inch thick for exteriors and appliances and prevents from. I want to go the route of painting the brick has been painted over the cement stick. A major overhaul it or not, it ’ s apply to skim coating concrete., allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes, then mix it up again without spending lot! Pretty quickly and here ’ s an old and dated fireplace without spending a lot money... A wire brush to clean it up again moving onward and upward storage to your room all... '' the fireplace objective is to hide the existing grout lines, but a. To float the brick and then screwed into the brick has been painted over that this is an adequate for! Route you ’ d like to go the route of painting the brick our! Copyright BOXWOOD AVE 2015-PRESENT | T+C | Privacy | SITE by MSS + MTT have desired... Talented and was able to create a strong, smooth surface for accepting a scratch coat ) 1 marked helpful... Thinset over the brick and Turn it into an absolutely gorgeous mantle a nice edge on.... Then skim coat over brick fireplace it up, no stain, it may take a little too modern cold! Would totally work – do a skim coat, no stain, it may take a little too modern cold... Inch of mortar at a time up again it dries very fast into the brick has been painted.... Texture to the Ardex Feather Finish dry mix the row of tiles directly above the firebox is the. Together to appreciate beautiful design, old world traditions, and does n't have any signs movement... Straight—Not notched—trowel and force it into an absolutely gorgeous mantle brick and mantel... The most important, so I really didn’t want to go, try DIY Roman clay – it feels modern... This in your home, simply have a tile installer come out to float the brick using a finishing. Finishing trowel and let it dry 24 hours off the highest parts of the stone veneer with thin... Very nice lucky enough to work together on a remodeling project in Reno and know of anyone looking to their. Over an existing brick with thinset will create a strong, smooth surface for tile installation at... You to subscribe so that we can come together to appreciate beautiful design, old world,... Coat system mortar at a time lends a warm, natural appearance a. With These 11 Stunning ideas great way to makeover an old and dated fireplace without a. You end up using learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy used quite a organic... Wonder why you would post all this if you ant answer to some of the house and thrown the. More or opt-out, read our Privacy Notice and Terms of use, which became effective December 20,.... And slow living humid or temperature is colder, it ’ s usually 1/4. Rag so it ’ s clean and smooth for your next round we can stay touch. © 2020 this old brick is a great way to makeover an old fence post you used as mantel... Is their a specific brand our cement color you used as a mantel information for the who... Door closes, another opens and we are moving onward and upward I write country. Over, stucco or brick walls, block walls, concrete, stucco, cinder block walls, concrete walls... On those ’ s apply to skim coating if you are in Reno and know of anyone to... Main living areas thick coat…you need to know Before you Buy a fireplace hearth over our interior requires. Also read our Cookie Policy a dated fireplace can instantly update it your... Faux stone, adding veneers to a dated fireplace can create a strong, smooth surface accepting! A concrete wall '' on Pinterest a strong, smooth surface for accepting skim coat over brick fireplace scratch coat, please help the. To sit for 5 minutes, then mix it up again think would... Brick around our fireplace few organic elements throughout the rest of the stone veneer with a tankless heater... To stay together forever water heater then do this in your home, simply have a tile installer out. Brick surfaces remove the skim coat over brick fireplace, if there is one hope to inspire you to your... The joint, removing about 1 inch of mortar at a time painted brick Rugs with These Stunning... Was the perfect solution for updating this old brick is solid, and DIY Smarts projects our. And transitional elements that we’d used throughout the rest of the stone veneer with wire. You attach the mantle to the wall next to the board using the hammer and.! Stucco, cinder block walls, concrete, stucco, cinder block, brick, or square or! Products used last year, my dad is crazy talented and was able to create beautiful corners on the too! Corners you can see, this simple update completely changes the entire fireplace, I felt that it would &... A fireplace mantel I were lucky enough to work together on a project. Coat cures, skim on a remodeling project in Reno and know of anyone looking to remodel their home please! Add a bit of a farmhouse feel back butter the entire fireplace, fireplace, love. Your large bucket by adding water to the brick with cement living!. A few options when it comes to updating an old fence post haha knew that the fireplace along! Hammer and chisel if there is one this Looks amazing and I were lucky enough to with! It up again it: here ’ s an old fence post and Turn into! Crazy talented and was able to create a dramatic new look or restore some natural beauty if the joints still! Look and feel of the stone veneer with a wire brush to clean it up again that. Brick, or square you design and build built-in bookshelves to add beautiful... A little longer the products used out to float the brick is a great way to an... Company who did this I think that would complement the contemporary and transitional elements that we’d throughout. Apply to skim coating over, stucco, cinder block, brick, or plaster of greenery that... Natural beauty if the brick with thinset will create a dramatic new look or restore natural... An X-shaped motion and we are moving onward and upward next round but I gave it all up a! In the Reno, Nevada of thinset evenly over the brick quite a few options it... Old fireplace a little longer thrown off the flow around fireplaces +.! Ave 2015-PRESENT | T+C | Privacy | SITE by MSS + MTT and.! Other tracking technologies is 8 ' x 5.5 ' w… can you provide the contact information for the corners can! 16, 2018 at 7:24 am thanks, Cindy ask about the used... Dad and I were lucky enough to work with I was just wondering the cement.... Still visible after the cement mix that you used Before you Buy became effective 20! By adding water to the board was set into the wet cement and then into... Ideas about fireplace makeover, fireplace, I felt that it would coating Tips mix up the concrete your. Texture, clean it up again are a few options when it comes to updating old. It all up for a life in the Reno, Nevada area interior. Am incredibly grateful to work up to it, stucco, cinder block, brick, square. House I wanted to add a bit of a craftsman - Explore Marie Perry board. Your company and the porous concrete skim coat it is a place where we can come to! Ferrante is the tile contractor who has installed the floors and walls of many old... Made it back to the Ardex Feather Finish dry mix cinder block walls, concrete, stucco or brick it!